What are you going to do if you have a magic wand?
I am going to end poverty, environmental plunder, corruption, wars, conflicts, prostitution, human trafficking, violence against men, women and children, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...
I am going to end poverty, environmental plunder, corruption, wars, conflicts, prostitution, human trafficking, violence against men, women and children, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...
I am not perfect like the rest of humanity, but I wish to see a world free of evil and I know I am not alone. There is still beauty though. There is still goodness. However, it is hard to turn a blind eye. I remember having a conversation with some folks before. I can't remember how it all started but the topics were sex tourism in Southeast Asia and the spread of HIV. Is it taboo to talk about such things? I see nothing wrong talking about a trade and virus that are killing people. Awareness is the key.
Real men don't buy girls they say, but still the trade continues. Prostitution caters to both local and foreign men. This trade doesn't only happen in the region. It is a worldwide phenomenon from time immemorial. It is more obvious now because of the internet. It is easier to access information. It is illegal just like poaching and wildlife trade, but it seems the law is not fully implemented. It is just an observation. I have heard different stories why people are involved in this industry. The worst is when girls are forced because of poverty and the main culprit is one of the parents (in other cases, even both).
Are these days like the time of Noah before the flood? Others might say that no such event occurred. Regardless of differences in faith, I think we all have eyes and ears to understand what is happening. Well, I can always go back to my own little bubble and pretend everything is perfect. But no, the injustices are hard to ignore.
Nonetheless, I think it is futile to change others. I believe change should start from within. It is a conscious effort and it starts by accepting there is something wrong. Every time I feel frustrated, I read Hebrews 11. There is hope.
Therefore, we can't change the world, but we can hope and influence others within our reach.
We can always agree to disagree. I rest my case.-J