A Nepal Encounter

While waiting for the rain to stop, I suddenly remembered the picture I took with a friend from Nepal the last time I was in Singapore.

I have always been fascinated by Nepal even before I was tasked to write about Kathmandu a year ago. I learned more about this Himalayan country when I saw a documentary about the tragedy that struck the country's revered royal family in 2001.

After seeing the picture again, I became curious about what really happened that fateful night resulting to the abolition of the monarchy years later. I searched online and came across articles about the royal family. Tears then flowed. I was saddened to know how lives of promising young royals were cut short and how a country was left with uncertain future. I did not know them personally, but I felt this grief.

I refuse to write here what is really on my mind after reading eyewitness accounts. Anyone who knows them could still be hurting up to this day. A loss is a loss. Life is precious whether you are a king or a nobody. I truly understand that.