The sound of the roaring engine is deafening. The plane bound for Cebu is now preparing for its departure. Two hours earlier, my parents and I arrived in this post-Haiyan Tacloban airport after a two-hour drive. They had to send me off to Manila. I felt like a teenager again. It was here that some precious tears were shed when break was over and I had to go back to school. Though I've been here countless times since I was a kid, my departure now is different but quite similar to my arrival almost two weeks earlier. I have felt this sadness that is hard to explain.
Hearing the very loud sound makes me realize more the devastation caused by Haiyan. The strong storm surge destroyed the airport's walls. My parents told me that the sound of Haiyan's winds was like that of a plane's engines too. I couldn't bear to think the terror people here and the rest of the city felt that fateful November 8 morning. One survivor outside the airport earlier said that the water was dark when it reached their house and it rose so quickly.
The day is gloomy. The rain outside pours down endlessly, nonetheless you can still see hope in people's faces. The airport staff in particular is helpful and kind. Though it would take years, but hopefully this city will rise again and other towns that were destroyed by Haiyan.
I hope to share more pictures soon. Have a blessed 2014!

